Friday, October 3, 2014

Twenty Minutes A Day


Dear sisters,
 
Fall is my favorite time of year – I love the changing leaves and getting back into our routine.  Even after the best of summers, my children are ready to go back to school and I am ready for a little peace and quiet.  I also look forward to going to Life Group and getting back into the Word.    

But now comes a confession.  I’ve come to realize that I’ve been a seasonal student of the Bible and that is not a good thing.   

Can you imagine if Jesus took off the summer?   

Well, that is exactly what I’ve been doing and I recently challenged myself to do something about it. 

I committed to study the Word for 20 minutes a day for 20 consecutive days in August.   I used a book called 20 Minutes A Day For The Rest Of Your Life as a guide since I knew I couldn’t do it by myself.  I also had an accountability partner – my old fashioned egg timer which I wound up and set right next to me so that I wouldn’t be tempted to fudge on my time. 

Although 20 minutes a day doesn’t sound like much, it was daunting to me.  The amazing thing is that after two months, I find myself spending more and more time in the Word, in prayer, and even looking forward to that quiet time with God.   

Do I still have days where 20 minutes is a struggle?  Of course I do.  Do I ever miss a day?  Yes, but I get right back into it the next day and it is so much easier than letting it go for days at a time.  And I still use my egg timer when I’m feeling especially distracted. 

God has been showing me through this experience that He is always faithful to me and I need to be faithful to Him – all the time – not just when it is convenient or I need something.  I am a steward of the time God has given me and I need to use it wisely by making time for Him…every day.
 
In Christ,
Susan Hill

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your honesty, Susan. I feel I can relate so much. Many days, I just don't "feel" like doing my quiet time; yet, we cannot go by our feelings. I never regret taking the time to talk and listen to Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your tip with the egg timer, Susan! I heart practical solutions that lead to obedience. Sometimes, I clear my kitchen table of everything and open my Bible the night before so it is ready to go for the AM. AND…I get out my coffee cup too ;) I heart practical solutions that lead to obedience.

    ReplyDelete