Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Making Time


Dear Sisters,

I don’t know about you, but as Christmas approaches the days just seem to go by faster and faster!  There is always more to squeeze in each day.  I find myself struggling a bit to fit in my 20 minutes a day with the Lord.  However, I wanted to share with you why I have been having a lot more success lately than I have in the past.

 At the Westwood Women’s Conference last spring we all received a copy of 20 Minutes a Day for the Rest of Your Life.  Each one of the four study methods in the book was outlined for us so we could have a chance to try them out at home.   I faithfully spent 20 days trying out each method and landed on the one called Devotionals.   This method is pretty much exactly what it sounds like – you choose a devotional and spend time in it every day.  I typically begin and end in prayer and occasionally will journal. 

 I am currently reading three devotionals – Our Daily Bread, Craving God (Lysa TerKeurst), and My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers.  These devotionals are very different from each other.  I must admit that on most days Oswald goes right over my head.  This is not a bad thing, however, since some days I’m up for a different style than others.  Each speaks to me in a different way as do the accompanying Bible verses.

 I have come to realize that I make time for what is important to me.  And that includes my time with God.  I can’t expect my friendships to flourish without devoting time and attention to them.  So how can I expect my relationship with God to grow if I am not cultivating a growing relationship with him? 
 
In love,
Susan
         

No comments:

Post a Comment