Friday, February 13, 2015

Hiding God's Word in My Heart

Dear friends,

For one of the first seasons in my life, I have been consistently learning from God for 20 minutes most days. It has been a very blessed season. I crave his presence in my life, and as I’m learning, that always leads to change. So, before the beginning of the 2015 I was praying that the Holy Spirit would help me to see where I needed to grow. He’s been laying on my heart the need to memorize scripture.

I know a lot of scripture…well, let’s put it this way… I know the “just” of a lot of scripture. I know the “main idea” of a lot of passages. I “recognize” many verses. I can “paraphrase” a lot of ideas. These are all good and pleasing things to God, but the Lord has placed on my heart the desire to know the actual wordsof the scripture, where the verses are found in the Bible, the context of the verse,  and the author. ALL of that AND to be able to recall at the appropriate time. So many times I’ll be having a conversation or be in Bible study and think of something I want to share, but…I can’t recall where the scripture is, the talking point moves on, and I miss a chance to make a connection that could be helpful for someone.

I don’t have the history of being good memorizer of scripture…or a good memorizer of really anything. I’m not the type to quote movies or even to sing the right lyrics to songs. I was also not “good” at AWANA as a kid. And truth be told Ikind of got annoyed with it. It had turned into a competition for me and I wasn’t winning. That bothered me, but mostly, it made me not go for the right reasons. So, this year was convicted to tackle this challenge with a history of memorizing with the head and not so much the heart.

That brings me to my plan.

Small-Steps: I am currently memorizing 1 scripture, (yes, just 1) every two weeks for the next year.

Choosing Personally Meaningful Verses: I choose a verse that is meaningful for me and something that the LORD has beenteaching me in my quiet time. I write down possible verses in my journal from quiet time, sermons, and Bible study. Then I read through and see where there are patterns, or one that continues to grip my heart when I read it. I know that choosing a scripture that the Holy Spirit is leading me to will help me to learn it for the right reasons.

Lots of Input and Output: I choose a verse and read it in several translations. (Biblehub.com is a website that offers verses in a ton of translations and I choose which specific wording speaks to my heart.) I read it silently and outloud. I write it down several times. I’m a very visual learner, so I write it pretty on a notcard and begin to try to visualize my writing for recalling the verse. Then I try out reciting it in a low pressuresituation: usually with my husband at dinner.

Consistency: Every two weeks, I am going to choose a new scripture. I practice (or at least read) my new verse daily and review the ones I have memorized.

Accountability: Right now I am participating in a yearlong memorization challenge though Facebook. On the 1st and 15th of every month we post the verse we are memorizing. This group is hosted by Beth Moore and made up of thousands of women from across the country choosing meaningful scripture to memorize. Here is a link to the group:https://www.facebook.com/BethMooreMinistries.

I’ll leave you with these words, from God’s word, about His word.

Psalm 119:11-16
I have treasured Your word in my heart
so that I may not sin against You.
LORD, may You be praised;
teach me Your statutes.
With my lips I proclaim
all the judgments from Your mouth.
I rejoice in the way revealed by Your decrees
as much as in all riches.
I will meditate on your precepts
and think about Your ways.
I will delight in Your statutes;
I will not forget Your word.

In Him,
Grace


1 comment:

  1. Love this, Grace! We could all use more of God's Word in our hearts. A great challenge for everyone.

    ReplyDelete